You are here
Safe Drinking Water Act
The framework for inspecting and testing Ontario's drinking water systems.
This legislation establishes the standards and requirements for providing clean, safe drinking water to people living in Ontario.
The act includes policies on topics such as:
- Operator certification
- Accreditation of operating authorities
- Drinking water system requirements
- Licensing of municipal drinking water systems and approvals under the Drinking Water Works Permit
- Approvals for non-municipal drinking water systems
- Drinking water testing
- Compliance and enforcement
To protect human health, prevent drinking water hazards and recognize that Ontarians are entitled to expect safe drinking water.