Every year, we reach out to people and organizations across the province, through pre-budget consultations, to gather information and help determine public priorities for the Ontario Budget.
This year, a record breaking 81,400 people participated in consultations, helping us shape the policies and programs that are in the 2017 Ontario Budget.
What is Budget Talks?
Budget Talks is our online pre-budget consultation tool. It is a public forum for you to submit your ideas and discuss others’.
During this year’s Budget Talks, we asked citizens to submit ideas that could make everyday life easier for people in Ontario, in one of eight focus areas and committed to spend up to $3 million bringing up to eight ideas to life.
Ideas could recommend the Government of Ontario implement a pilot, study, event or digital service to:
- fight climate change through conservation and a low carbon economy
- help students achieve their full potential
- increase access to child care
- invest in community infrastructure projects
- make government services faster and easier to use
- make health care easier to access
- strengthen reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples
- support Ontario’s small businesses
After receiving over 400 submissions, each submission was reviewed and 13 ideas were selected for voting.
3 ideas received the most votes and will receive funding.
Write to us
If you have feedback about the 2017 Budget, you can send us a general email or mail your feedback to:
The Honourable Charles Sousa
Minister of Finance
c/o Budget Secretariat
Frost Building North, 3rd Floor
95 Grosvenor Street
Toronto, ON M7A 1Z1
Visit our Budget Basics page to learn more about the financial cycle and where our pre-Budget consultations fit in.